- North by Northwest | Alfred Hitchcock | 1959
Best movie ever. I say that a lot.
President John F. Kennedy / photo by Arnold Newman.
Emperor penguin chicks huddle for warmth with other chicks and adults in Antartica, September 1963.
Photograph by Frank Kazukaitis, National Geographic
Incredible photograph. The National Geographic Found Tumblr is one of my favorites. It reminds me of why I loved the magazine as a kid.
The Ocean || Led Zeppelin
- "The Ocean" is fans as seen from the stage. It was always dedicated to the audience at concerts.
- The voice on the intro is drummer John Bonham. When he says, “We’ve done four already, but now we’re steady and then they went, 1… 2… 3… 4…,” he is referring to the takes. They had tried to record it 4 times prior but couldn’t get it right, so as a pep talk he said his famous line.
- In the last line, the “Girl who won my heart” is Robert Plant’s daughter Carmen, who was 3 years old at the time.
- It can barely be heard due to all the guitar overdubs, but during the last minute or so, John Paul Jones and John Bonham sing for one of the only times on a Zeppelin album. They are harmonizing the phrase “Doo wop.”
- If you listen carefully, you can hear a phone ringing in the studio at 1:37-1:38 and again (second ring) around 1:41.
- This is one of the few Zeppelin songs where all 4 members shared the writing credit.
Roger Daltrey by John Wright for GQ UK December 2013
New Jersey, 1970s © George Tice